Tower logo.
  • Quotes and claims 0800 379 372

TOWER Claim4Car app

  • A smart way to start your car
    insurance claim
    The smart way to start your car insurance claim

Car insurance claim 

How to make a claim

Making a car insurance claim is simple. To submit your claim, simply:


  • Complete an online claim form

         Motor vehicle online claim form
         Stolen or burnt out motor vehicle online claim form

  • Call us on 0800 379 372 any time between 8am and 8pm
  • 24 / 7 emergency service - call us on 0800 379 372 for help
  • Download a PDF form, complete and return it to us via:
    Fax: 0800 222 445 or 09 369 2245
    Post: TOWER Insurance Limited, PO Box 90347, Victoria Street West, Auckland 1142

Windscreen claims

You don’t need to fill out a form for windscreen claims - just call us on 0800 379 372


Text notifications


We also offer a claims text update service for customers that wish to receive short text updates about their claim. Claims text updates may include the following information:


  • Details of your claims handler
  • If your excess is waived
  • If / when your claim is accepted
  • When final payment has been made


Recommended repairers


We’ve put together a list of repairers in your area that we recommend to help you keep your car maintained or back on the road faster after an accident. View our extensive list of recommended repairers.


Approved vehicle valuers


If you'd like a second opinion on any market value claims settlement we offer, check out this list of approved vehicle valuers. We recommend these companies to help give you a valuation for your vehicle. Approved vehicle valuers.


Important information to help us process your claim:

  • Get hold of the details of anyone else involved in the accident e.g. third party, witness, passengers and property owners. Details to ask for are; name, address, phone and vehicle registration number if relevant
  • Please don’t proceed with repairs immediately, as we’ll need to assess the damage before repairs commence
  • If you think the loss was caused by an illegal act (e.g. your vehicle is stolen) please notify the police as soon as possible as a police file number will be required

Please provide us with as much information as possible so we can process your claim smoothly.


Fill Online.Adobe PDF
Motor vehicle claim formFILL ONLINEDOWNLOAD PDF
Stolen or burnt out motor vehicle claim formFILL ONLINEDOWNLOAD PDF

Frequently asked questions
Claims expand this category
Burglary claims expand this product
How do I make a claim? view answer close
You can make a claim by completing the online claim form, by telephone or by post. For more information please click here.
What should I do if my property is not secure following the burglary? view answer close
If you also have a house policy with us, we will appoint a tradesperson to secure your home until full repairs can take place. If there are further repairs that need to be made we will appoint an assessor or tradesperson who will see those repairs through to completion. If this has not been done and is required, please contact your claims handler who will arrange for this to take place. If your house insurance is with another insurer you will need to contact them about these repairs.
Do I need a police reference? view answer close
Yes. When you reported your burglary to the police you would have been given a police file number. You will need to supply this with your claim form. If you don’t have this you can call your local police station to obtain it. If you haven’t reported your burglary to the police you should do this now.
Is there anything else I need to do to prevent this happening again? view answer close

We recommend that you evaluate the security around your house and consider any reasonable enhancements. These could include:

▪ Fitting deadlocks to all external doors
▪ Fitting security catches or stays to windows
▪ Installing an infra red alarm system.

If you choose not to upgrade the level of your security (if the above items are not already in place), it is possible that we could alter the terms on your policy for future burglaries.

What is the role of the assessor and the investigator? view answer close

The first people you are likely to meet after making a burglary claim is an assessor or an investigator, or both.

The assessor will generally report on the damage caused as a result of the ‘break in’ whereas the investigator, when required, will gather information to help establish how the loss came about, including establishing proof of ownership.

In some instances such as where large amounts of items have been stolen or where neighbours have witnessed suspicious activity in the neighbourhood, the investigator may take recorded or written statements from you and other witnesses. This can be used to help reconstruct what has happened and identify possible suspects.


What else do I need to do? view answer close
You will need to complete a claim form or contact us on 0800 379 372 and provide proof of ownership for the stolen items. Once we have received this the person handling your claim will be in touch to work through your claim.
What can I use as proof of ownership? view answer close

If you haven’t already, you need to either complete a claim form online here, or download a form to complete, or contact us on 0800 379 372. You will also need to provide proof of ownership for the stolen items.

The best form of proof of ownership is the original purchase receipt, or if not retained, bank or credit card statements which record transactions relating to purchased goods. Most retailers today are able to retrieve details of previous purchases from their computer records, so where an original might have been lost, the retailer should be able to produce a copy of these for you.

Additionally, many items can be purchased online via websites, auction sites etc. In these instances you can provide a copy of the online purchase record, email receipt or auction confirmation in conjunction with a bank statement that includes the payment.

Any warranty or guarantee documents are another source for establishing ownership, as are pre-loss valuations for jewellery items and family heirlooms.

Photographs, operating manuals, empty boxes or containers are not considered reliable proof, nor are photocopies when original documents are reasonably available.

How will my stolen items be replaced? view answer close

If a stolen item is eligible for replacement, we will arrange for it to be replaced through our network of preferred suppliers.

Due to our buying power with these providers we can access better rates for many of these items, which helps save you money and keeps your premiums down.

In instances where it is not possible to replace an item through our supplier network we will either make a payment to you equivalent to the replacement cost or replace it through an alternative source.

Furniture, furnishings, home appliances and clothing
Domestic furniture, furnishings and home appliances that were over ten years old at the time of loss are generally covered for present day value only. Clothing is also settled on its present day value. This means that if a home appliance over ten years old or an item of clothing is stolen, you would be paid the cost of replacing the item less an allowance for depreciation.

Computers and accessories
The replacement of computers and their accessories generally have different criteria to domestic furniture, furnishings and home appliances. Computers and their accessories are generally replaced if under five years old. If they are over five years old, we will pay you the present day value.

Jewellery is settled differently depending on the policy you have. The replacement of an item may be limited to a specified amount, or if you choose not to replace the piece, you will be paid the present day value up to a maximum of 50% of the items replacement value.

Car insurance expand this product
How do I make a claim? view answer close
You can make a claim by completing the online claim form, by telephone or by post. For more information please click here.
TOWER Claim4Car™ App expand this product
Where can I download the TOWER Claim4Car™ app? view answer close
The TOWER Claim4Car app can be downloaded from the iTunes store for iPhone or Goolge Play for android devices.
What is TOWER Claim4Car? view answer close

Claim4Car is our free iPhone app that walks you through the information you need to collect in the event of an accident. TOWER car insurance customers can then submit an accident report and start their claim right from the app.

With Claim4Car you can preload details about your vehicle and any drivers, and in an accident, you can add the location, areas of damage to your car and relevant photos.  You can then send the report to an email address of your choice, or straight to us to start your claim.

Will the app run on my computer? view answer close
No. Apps are designed exclusively for use on smartphone and tablet devices.
TOWER Vault expand this product
How easy is it for me to enter my personal details in the TOWER Vault? view answer close
Very easy. Enter your customer and contents policy number in the 'sign on' area. Next choose and enter your unique 8 digit password. Now you can either commence entering details or print off a form which you can take with you around the house to list items before returning to the TOWER Vault to record the information you have listed.
What kind of information can I store? view answer close
You will find the TOWER Vault Forms clearly laid out by category (whiteware, browngoods etc) as well as location (house, bach etc). Click here for an example.
Who else will have access to my information in the TOWER Vault site? view answer close
Provided you do not give your password to anyone else you are the only person who can access your site. Not even TOWER employees can have access. IT IS THEREFORE IMPERATIVE THAT YOU REMEMBER YOUR PASSWORD. However, because no one can guarantee that computer hackers will not be able to access the site we recommend you do not put any information which will identify you such as name, address, or phone numbers into the TOWER Vault.
If I list all my items down can I give it to TOWER to enter into my site? view answer close
No, for your security, we do not allow our staff to have access to your Vault file.
Can I store attachments or other files? view answer close
No, we do not allow storage of attachments or other files to avoid the risk of identification or storing illegal material on the site.
Can a non TOWER Policy holder have a site? view answer close
The TOWER Vault is an exclusive benefit to TOWER Contents Insurance Policy holders. If you are not a TOWER customer or do not have a contents policy you can gain access to the TOWER Vault by purchasing a contents policy from TOWER.
How do I list collections of items such as CDs, books or records? view answer close
Rather than having to list every single item in your collection individually, which will be very time consuming, you can make a single entry such as "CD collection" and use the notes field to list all the individual items in your collection. An example of this can be seen on the sample page.
How do I get a hard copy of the items I've entered? view answer close
Once you've entered all your assets you can get a hard copy by going to the "Display" page and selecting the Print option from the File menu on your browser. Note that if you wish to print all your entered items at once then you must select the "All Locations" and "All Categories" from the Location and Category selection boxes respectively (on the Display page).
Enable cookies view answer close
Please note that you must have cookies enabled on your Web Browser to be able to use the TOWER Vault. This is normally the default setting after installation, however if cookies are not enabled you can turn them on as follows:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5
  1. Click on View in the top line of your browser
  2. Click on Internet Options
  3. Click on the Advanced tab
  4. Scroll down the the Security section
  5. Under Cookies click on Always accept cookies
  6. Click on OK
Netscape 4.0 and above
  1. Click on Edit in the top line of your browser
  2. Click on Preferences
  3. Click on the word Advanced (not on the + sign)
  4. In the Cookies section click on Accept all cookies
  5. Click on OK