Earthquake claims

Below are guidelines on how to make your claim.
Customers with general insurance claims, including house, contents, and car, please complete an online claim form below.

Customers wishing to lodge their insurance claim online

We have signed an agreement with the Earthquake Commission (EQC), which means there is now a simpler process in place for settling insurance claims resulting from the recent earthquakes. The agreement means that Tower is now able to manage your house and contents claims, irrespective of whether they are under, or over, the usual EQC cap of $20,000 for contents and $100,000 for house claims. This means you’ll now have one point of contact for your house and contents claims. Please note that EQC will continue to assess land damage as land is not covered by private insurance policies.

If you need to lodge a claim as a result of the Kaikoura earthquakes, please call us on 0800 847 007 and press option 1 or complete the online claim form here.

If you have already lodged a claim with the EQC, you will not need to do anything as the EQC will pass your claim on to us.