Power up your plugs like a pro
Simple tips to help you avoid an electrical overload in your home.
Ever blown a circuit? Annoying right? Overloaded electrical outlets are usually the culprit and not only can they short circuit your home, but they are also a major fire risk.
Here at Tower, a lot of the totalto homes by fire we see are caused by charging batteries and phones, and overloading your multi-plug, says Ross Haliday, Manager Property Assessing at Tower.
Check out the following tips that will help you keep your home and valuables safe from an electrical fire.
Check for fraying
With overuse, some plug cords can start to fray, leaving the inside wire exposed. Don't just tape over it - that can create an even bigger risk. It's better to get an expert to look at it or to replace it.¹
Get to grips with your appliances
Some appliances use more power than others, like fridges vs hairdryers. So looking at how much wattage, or energy your appliances use, can help you determine what might overload your system.²
Unplug energy draining appliances
Appliances can use quite a bit of power when they're on standby.² So to help save money, consider unplugging things like the stereo and speakers, or your printer – the biggest culprit for energy wasting – and switch off the socket.
Use one multi-plug per socket
Just because there's two plugs to an electrical socket doesn't mean you should load up both with multi-plugs.³ This can overload the socket entirely – so choose your plugs wisely.
Never plug a multi-plug into a multi-plug
This is known as 'daisy-chaining' – and as cute as it sounds, it can have some dangerous results. It could cause an overload or a loose connection, which can result in overheating and fires.⁴
Put in additional sockets
If you're in an older house, there usually aren't many electrical sockets. Get an electrician to install some more where you need them, so you can cut down on overloaded plugs.
Check your wiring
If your house was built pre-1940, your home's wiring may not meet modern electrical safety standards. If the original wiring still exists you may need to re-wire the property and replace the electrical switchboard, as this can be a fire hazard.
Looking for other smart tips? Take look at our 'Warm and worry free: ways to heat your home' blog for more handy tips on how you can turn up the heat on a budget this winter.