Top tips to keep your boat in ship shape
If it's been a while since you've been out on the water, it's vital to check over a few things on your boat or ski before you do.
Summer is just around the corner, and many of us Kiwis love nothing more than hitting the water in the boat or jetski. However, if it's been a while since you've been out on the water, it's vital to check over a few things on your boat or ski before you do. You don’t want to encounter any issues once you’re afloat again.
The more preparation you do before that first launch will go a long way toward any unforeseen (and often preventable) incidents out on the water.
Here’s a short list of must do’s:
- Make sure your batteries are fully charged and electrics all function correctly.
- Check your steering system operates as it should and hasn’t locked up or leaked if hydraulic.
- Make sure all fuel lines, tanks, and bulbs are in good working order. If your fuel is quite old it would be a good idea to drain it and replace it with fresh juice.
- Connect your hose and start your outboard/engine to make sure it turns over and runs as it should. Make sure you run it up for a good amount of time to get it warm to check that things like the thermostat opens at the correct temp.
- Check your anchor locker, chain, warp, and the pick itself to ensure all knots & bolts are still tight and in good condition.
- Inspect all your safety gear including life jackets are in good condition, VHF & Nav lights operate, and things like flares haven’t expired.
And don’t forget your trailer!
- Check your wheels still hold the correct tyre pressure and look for any cracks in the tyre walls.
- If you’re on a level surface, prop up the trailer with a jack and check your wheels spin freely, bearings aren’t seized, and if your trailer’s braked, then make sure the system functions as it should also.
- Make sure your winch block and wire/line are in good condition with no frays or damage (double-check your transom ties as well!)
Lastly, do a once over on all the areas that should be lubed and greased and make sure everything that should move does and everything that shouldn’t doesn’t! It’s a good idea to check when your next service is due and book it in to make sure internal parts such as your impeller are replaced as they can become hard and brittle sitting out of water for too long.
Have a safe trip back out and enjoy our beautiful ocean!